Gentlemen, do invest in a crisp, white dress shirt or two. Or maybe three. Well, four won’t hurt. It’s one of the most versatile pieces you can have in your closet because it goes well with just about anything.
One thing to remember, however: it should have the right fit. Keep these guidelines in mind when you go dress shirt shopping.
- Collar. The collar should touch the skin around the neck, but not feel tight. You should be able to slip two fingers between your neck and your collar without using any force.
- Shoulders. The shoulder seam should sit right at the edge of the shoulder, where it meets the arm. The arm hole should be large enough so you don’t have to tug or twist while wearing it.
- Torso. The buttons should close comfortably, without any wrinkles. There should be no extra fabric around the chest and stomach area.
- Shirt sleeves. The sleeves should just be slightly wider at the upper arm than the cuff. There should be no loose fabric hanging around the elbows and biceps. Sleeve length should end at the wrist bone.
- Shirt hem. If it’s untucked, the shirt hem should just be long enough to cover the belt. When tucked in, no part of the hem should be exposed so it doesn’t pop out when you move.
Here are 4 ways to style a white dress shirt, which can take you to work down through the weekend.
Clothes from SM Men; shoes from Salvatore Mann; watch and bag from SM Accesories; available at all branches of The SM Store.