Sugar, spice, and everything nice! A sweet and easy drink that is sure to warm hearts.
Calories per serving: 168
2 large mandarin oranges
200 grams caster sugar
6 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 vanilla pod
2 star anise
2 bottles of red wine. Merlot or Chianti works best.
1. Save large sections of peel from the mandarins, lemon and lime.
2. Put the sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the pieces of peel and squeeze in the orange juice.
3. Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg.
4. Split the vanilla pod in half and add to the mixture.
5. Pour just enough wine to cover everything.
6. Simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved into the red wine, then bring to a boil for 4 to 5 minutes or until it turns into a thick syrup.
7. When syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add the star anise and the rest of the wine. Gently stir for about 5 minutes and serve.
Glasses, crate, and linen, prices available upon request, SM Home.